"There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions." -Jane Austen

April 6, 2010

More Jesus, less religion?

They Like Jesus but Not the Church

I was in my local bookstore when that title screamed at me. I couldnt resist the urge. Out of sheer curiosity, I bought the book and it has been sitting on my desk ever since. Until yesterday...

Yesterday, I began to read this socio-religious critique/ commentary on the emerging generations and their role in the current American church. I am withholding my thoughts and insights until I complete the text, but I did find the following quote interesting:

The next generation is definitely looking for a less programmatic, more relational, and more missional kind of church... they want more Jesus and less religion.
I have been rolling this concept around in my mind. As a member of said generation... and one who works in the church... DO I want less religion and more Jesus? DO I want less programming and more relationality?

Yes, yes I do.

Across the nation, across every denomination, church leaders are asking, "Where are the young people? How do we get them into our church? How do we effectively minister to those 18-35 year olds?" Very few people are doing it well. Very few churches are doing it well. Why?

I am not sure where Dan Kimball is going to go with this text, but Amanda Stallard has a few thoughts. I cherish and honor my faith traditions. I am a theologian. I love the church.

That being said, my Jesus met in small, intimate groups for study and conversation. My Jesus ate EVERY day with the poor, the hurting, the "unclean." My Jesus cared less about politics and more about people. My Jesus lived social justice. My Jesus lived hospitality. My Jesus was relational. My Jesus was dirty and ridiculed and passionate and... radical!

Can we say those same things about our churches?

From what I have seen, my parents' generation was one who sought anonymity. They slipped into the backs of churches and wanted to be unnoticed, unrecognized, unbothered. Folks, my generation is exactly the opposite! In a culture and era of instant social networking, where cell phones and iPods and laptops replace actual human interaction, my generation is crying out to be known. To be recognized. To be relational!

Until the American church finds a way to bring us more Jesus and less religion, I think we will continue to scratch our heads and ask, "Where are the young people?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a person who is in the final months of your demographic (egads!) I have wondered where my fellow young people are for the past 20 years. In my twenties, I felt like a lone reed--I don't recall anyone else close to my age at church back then. Seems like a lot of young people go through a "losing my religion" stage that begins in college and ends when they have children and feel pulled to return. Many others never come back--having gone atheist or "spiritual." I'm interested to hear how the book concludes.

Mama C. said...

Oops...the comment was from me (Jer's gonna be crestfallen when he discovers he's no longer part of the young people demographic!

R. Franklin Gillis, Jr. said...

Wow! Now that's what I call insightful insights! For too many years I have asked that profound question and sought answers,"Where are the young people?" I know all too well why they are not interested in another generation's church. We need to "rethink church" from the perspective of the missing generation and with their help redefine what church looks like, how the church can address their needs, and how the faith we profess can assist them in their journey. Then we will reach the missing generation. This will take some young people like you to help lead the way! Thanks for your commitment to faith and the church!