"There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions." -Jane Austen

April 16, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears... oh my!

One of the perks of my job is that I get to do some really fun things as part of my ministry. Yesterday, I was invited to participate in our preschool's "Zoo Day" as a way to spend time with the children and meet their parents. I was incredibly excited... after all, kiddos and a field trip to the zoo... what could be better?

After Lauren and I arrived at the zoo, mingled some, and got checked in, we began to leisurely wander toward the various exhibits. We watched monkeys play, marveled at the camels, and I even fed a giraffe! However, I spent quite a bit of time stressing because the Richmond Zoo does not offer maps.

Now, this zoo is privately owned and relatively small, so they dont actually NEED maps, but I needed one. I like to have a plan, create a specific course, make sure that I hit all of the things I want to see in an order that doesnt force backtracking. You know at amusement parks when you see those crazy tourist-looking people with fanny packs and souvenirs and their noses always stuck in a map (except when they are snapping pictures of EVERYTHING)?? That's me... minus the fanny pack and souvenirs. When I go to Disney or some other park, I plan the entire day with my map, so that I can hit every ride, show, and parade that I want to see. I make sure that water rides are in the heat of the day and that food and restroom breaks are planned into the schedule. I am annoying. I am efficient. I am a gal with a plan.

Now, cut back to the zoo. Yesterday, without my map and plan, I felt lost and out of control. I still got to see all of the animals. I still remained on schedule. But, I had to keep reminding myself to enjoy the things around me and stop worrying about my blasted map. After a while, and a little backtracking, I loosened up and stopped caring so much that I wasnt following a certain order. I listened to the children ask questions. I laughed at the antics of the animals. I savored the moment... and I had a fabulous time.

Often, God has to remind me to let go of my controlling tendencies and show me that my plan is not always going to work out. After the initial discomfort and maybe a little backtracking, I am reminded that I should stop worrying and enjoy the moment. I cant go through life with a fanny pack and a map and an agenda that is planned for every minute. But, I can loosen up, take a look around me, and enjoy where I am. I can laugh and play and have a fabulous time... even without my map.

1 comment:

Katie said...

No one should go through life with a fanny pack.