"There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions." -Jane Austen

April 2, 2010

Hee Haw

For my very first blog post, I find myself at a loss for anything to say that is creative or witty or interesting. So, instead, I think I may simply share my Holy Week insights.

Each year, I read the story of Christ from the Triumphal Entry through the Resurrection and, each year, I find myself in different places in the story. Some years, I am in the crowd waving palms. Some years, I am at the Last Supper. Some years, I am Peter-- denying Jesus. Some years, Joanna-- amazed at the Resurrection of Christ. Most years... I am in the crowd shouting "Crucify!"

This year, I think I am the donkey.

Yes, you heard me right. Many of you know my call story and how, until the very day that I accepted my current job as a Christian Educator, I fought tooth and nail with God. I was NOT going to work full-time in the church. I had spent years refusing to accept the call, even though I was working in churches and attending seminary... I had literally stomped my foot, crossed my arms, and said "NOPE!" And this Holy Week... here I am. In the church. Ministering. Full-time.

In the story of the Triumphal Entry (my favorite version is in Luke 19), Jesus tells the disciples to go find a donkey that has never been ridden. It is tied up and when the disciples untie it, it's owners ask, "Why are you untying our donkey?" The disciples respond, "The Lord needs it." Then, the disciples throw their cloaks over the young, untrained animal and Jesus sits on top of it. Many would anticipate Jesus (the King of Kings!) to ride in on a glamorous horse, beautiful and well-trained and reflecting the perfect majesty of it's rider. Instead, Jesus calls the most unlikely colt to carry the burden of his weight.

Most days I consider myself ill-equipped, inexperienced, unable, and unwilling to carry the burden of Christ into the world of believers and non-believers alike. There are hundreds of others who would be better, stronger, and more fit to take my place. Until 6 months ago, sitting in a church office was the last place I wanted to be. And yet, sometimes "The Lord needs [us]." Sometimes, we are called (or led... or even dragged) into a place where we have the honor of carrying Christ to the people. Jesus sees in us, the lowly donkeys, a potential and a calling... even when we don't see it ourselves. There is nothing majestic or beautiful or holy about any of us when we stand alone... but as we carry Christ with us, we are transformed.

What a blessing to find myself as a donkey.

4 comments:

Mrs. Julie Graham said...

Great insight! I'm a donkey too! :)

K. Toole said...

Wow. I'm going to use that elsewhere. Thanks for sharing.

D. Toole said...

If you ever do childrens pageants at church, you find yourself thinking about how kids might feel if you cast them as angels or sheep or Mary or Jesus or mice or donkies.

I once cast a 12-year-old boy as John the Baptist, who kept proclaiming, "Prepare for the coming! Prepare for the coming of the Lord!" Two years later he told me that that part was very important to him. When I left that church, he had decided to go into ministry. So, how we see ourselves, and the importance we give to the roles of others, can be life-changing experiences.

sanctifyingsarah said...

Thank you for sharing your musings. This post helped me give a name to what I am feeling this Easter.