"There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions." -Jane Austen

April 7, 2010

Cleanliness close to Godliness?

I am fairly certain I have some mild form of OCD. My friends constantly tease me about it; my co-workers often joke about it. My closet is organized by color, photos on the wall have to be straight for me to concentrate, my silverware must be lined up a certain way. My shopping carts have a certain organizational pattern, as do my dishwasher, my refrigerator, and my movie collection.When my best friends, Amy and Darren, come to visit, Darren purposely rearranges my picture frames or magnets to see how long it takes me to notice (usually not very long).

With that in mind, it shouldn't surprise you that I like to clean. Now, let me be clear... I don't like planning to clean, I don't like thinking about cleaning, I don't like taking time out of my already busy schedule to clean. However, once I actually pick up a broom or sponge, I instantly remember how therapeutic it is. As I clean away the dust and dirt and dog hair (my beloved pup is shedding that winter coat at enormous rates!), I feel like I am also cleaning my soul. Everything has a home. There is no clutter, no mess, no disorganization. Everything shines and sparkles and smells fresh and clean.

Over the last couple years, I have felt a little like my pre-cleaned apartment. At a glance, everything was straight and looked pretty good. Nothing was glaringly out of place. Upon further inspection though, things were dusty, disorganized, and neglected. My spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being were left on a shelf to collect dust. They had lost their shine, their sparkle, their fresh scent.

I hated thinking about it, planning for it, or making time to fix it... but recently, I remembered to Spring clean. I remembered what it felt like to get my life back in order, to give things in my life a rightful home, to sweep and polish and throw out the old junk to make room for new, better things. My heart and soul and mind feel clean.

And, now, just like when I have a freshly cleaned home... I am happier than I have ever been. My OCD approves.

1 comment:

R. Franklin Gillis, Jr. said...

Great blog. Betty put me on to it. KUTGW!