"There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions." -Jane Austen

February 21, 2013

Shock and Awe


I often jokingly say, "I don't like people."

This, of course, isn't true. I like people just fine. I even love a lot of them. What I really mean is that I don't generally prefer to be around them in large groups. As an introvert, being around people is exhausting for me. I have to be "on" most of the time. I have to think about what I am wearing, what I am saying, what my facial expression is conveying, if I am talking too fast, or reacting too slow. It's seriously exhausting for me... even when it is for "fun."

Add to that, I am a homebody. I like my books and my dog and making dinner at home. I like throwing on pajamas and my hair in a ponytail and having the choice whether I want to dance around my kitchen or sit in the silence. I like not having to go back out once I am in, and I sure as heck cant think of anything fun about driving far away to sit in a loud public place around a bunch of strangers who make me feel awkward or bored. Being in public, or around people I don't know, often intimidates me or makes me insecure to the point of embarrassment.

With that in mind, two of my co-workers (extroverts, I might add) have decided I need a social life. For months (and I do mean months) they have been trying to get me "out." At first, it was blatant attempts to drag me to a happy hour, then it was more covert invitations to "grab dinner." I have always, always declined. Because, you know, my shoes hurt, or my dog is waiting, or I was having a bad hair day, or I have to work for a couple more hours, or the straight up "I don't think so, guys."

So today, when one of them jokingly noted that we had a rough week and we should grab a drink after hours, my brain was thinking "no way, Jose" but somehow, my lips said "Ok"-- shocking us all. Picture it. "Ok" pops out of my mouth and 3 jaws hit the floor. Shock and awe have knocked the wind out of each of us (oh crap, did I just say YES?!?) Within moments, before I could back pedal, the girls were packing their purses and carting me off to the nearest restaurant for a lovely pink drink and some bar-worthy appetizers.

And here's the thing... it wasn't so bad. In fact, it was pretty great.We laughed. We ate. We complained about men. We enjoyed some music. We bonded.

Sometimes, we have to push out of our comfort zones. We have to be our version of adventurous. We have to say yes when we want (so badly) to say no. We have to make time to build relationships, because we can't always fly solo. We have to try. Just a little bit.

And we might just find, it can be pretty great.

Call me Indiana Jones,
Amanda


No comments: