"There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions." -Jane Austen

February 18, 2013

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

Happy President's Day, Friends.

For some of us, today was a holiday. A three-day weekend. An extra day to sleep in (which I did), or nap (which I also did), or catch up on things (which I sort of did- if catching up on the DVR counts).

But for the most part, I doubt many of us thought about the significance of today. As part of my "making time" practice, I spent some time today researching President's Day and why we celebrate it.

I read up on George Washington (the celebration of his birthday is the original purpose behind President's Day, btw) and remembered all the things I had learned about him in school, and on my visits to Williamsburg and Mount Vernon. I thought of the history papers I wrote on him in elementary school, and the way he helped to change our country. I pondered the Declaration of Independence. Our Constitution. Our liberties. Our patriotism.

Then, I thought about countries I have visited where the leadership is not like ours. Countries in Africa that are politically unstable and unsafe for the people. Countries in Europe that have a history of corrupt dictatorships and oppressive governments.  Islands and territories that have spent a significant portion of their history dealing with the aftermath of colonization.

Whatever your political differences may be, whatever party you vote with, whatever color you lean toward... we are quite blessed to live in a country like America. On this day, this President's Day, I am remembering and celebrating that we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Life. Liberty. Happiness.
If only all the world were granted those same rights.

No comments: