"There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions." -Jane Austen

December 1, 2010

Joy to the World!

Friends,

Happy Wednesday!

"Rejoice in the Lord always! Again, I say: Rejoice!" -Philippians 4:4

Do you ever find it hard to be joyful? Today, we welcome in the month of December. A time of holidays and family and friends. We wait in anticipation for the celebration of Christ's birth and everywhere you go, it seems people are filled with cheer and love. In children's ministry this month, we are focusing on the topic of Joy and, as I was reading the material today, this line stuck out to me: "finding joy and peace in the Lord, even when things don't go your way."

Perhaps I am in the minority, but things rarely go the way I want or plan.

Life is full of loops and turns and twists. And disappointments. And hurt. And brokenness. Some of us are worried about our jobs, or paying our bills, or where our next meal will come from. Some of us are struggling with health issues or loneliness or broken families or mourning the loss of loved ones. Some of us read the verse above and think, "What do I have to rejoice about?"

For those of you who have been following these weekly devotions for the last year, you know that I don't believe in sugar coating. I don't think that being a Christian is about offering trite platitudes. I wrestle with a lot of topics the same way you do, and so I spent all morning asking myself how I could write to you about Joy without glossing over the realities of pain in many of our lives.

Just as I was about to give up and "forget" to write today's Wednesday Words, God reminded me of this:

Today is World AIDS Day. Today is the 55th anniversary of Rosa Parks' stand against racial injustice. Today is the first day of Hanukkah. Today, we remember President Lincoln's 1862 State of the Union Address, where he began with these words:  "Since your last annual assembling, another year of health and bountiful harvests has passed, and while it has not pleased the Almighty to bless us with a return of peace, we can but press on, guided by the best light He gives us, trusting that in His own good time and wise way all will yet be well."

As I thought about those struggling with disease and death and malnutrition and racism and religious persecution and war, I was reminded of why I follow Christ in the first place. Jesus did not come to earth to offer us perfect lives. In Luke 4 (and Isaiah 58... and pretty much the entire Gospel!), the Bible tells us that Jesus came to dwell among his people. To live in the midst of the suffering and pain and to walk with us. The thing I often find most beautiful about my faith is that God did not come to earth in worldly majesty, but in the heart of poverty and persecution.

Here is our Joy, friends!

Joy is not that our lives are perfect or that everything always goes our way. Rather, Joy is knowing that we have a God who stands with us, in both times of abundance and times of scarcity. We have a God who stands with us in times of peace and times of war. We have a God who stands with us in times of health and times of sickness. We have a God who stands with us always. There is much joy in the love and presence of our Lord and "we can but press on, guided by the best light He gives us, trusting that in His own good time and wise way all will yet be well."

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I'll say: Rejoice!

Blessings and Joy to all of you,
Amanda

No comments: